Here are some of the things that are necessary and some that we recommend you doing prior to your trip to insure a smooth, fun and exciting adventure with us in the Amazon
*Required prep items:
- Select a date and pay your deposit to confirm the reservations. You will receive a confirmation and care package via e-mail as well as direct mail.
- Please complete our on-line registration form
in detail and e-mail it back to us so we can and get your Brazilian fishing license.
- Download our Terms & Conditions Form Trip Terms & Conditions
- Click HERE
and reserve your flights to Brazil(this is your expense) Please consult us prior to the issuance of tickets!
- Consult your doctor on what shots you need to travel to the Amazon. No vaccinations are required to enter Brazil. However the department of health recommends a yellow fever shot as well as oral tablets to be taken for malaria. This recommendation is for North Americans travelling to the Amazon regions of South America. Hepatitis and tetanus shots are also optional.
- Make sure that you have a valid passport as you cannot travel without it. The passport needs to be good for at least 6 months after your date of travel! It is also smart to make a photocopy of your passport’s photo page to aid in replacing a lost passport. If you are an American citizen thenClick HERE to get a U.S. passport.
- Make sure that you have a valid Brazilian VISA
. You cannot enter Brazil and clear customs without it. Click HERE to download the application form.
- Photo identification (drivers license)
*Things to bring:
- Polarized sunglasses
- Extra batteries or the plug for your electronics (laptops, cameras etc…)
- Cigars & cigarettes
- Your favorite liquor (customs allows you to bring 2 litres of alcohol with you)
- A few disposable towels for fishing and 1 or 2 bath towels
- Soap, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush
- Sandals or track shoes
- Polarized sunglasses
- Rain gear
- Pocket knife
- 2 Reels and 2 rods (baitcasting, fly or spinning gear is fine)
- Braided line in 65 or 80 pound test. Monofiliment in 20-40 pound test.
- Peacock bass fishing tackle Click HERE for a list of tackle that we use
- Light clothes for fishing (longsleeved / shortsleeved t-shirts / shorts etc…)
In one of your checked suitcases pack all of your reels, sunglasses, knives and fishing lures that have hooks. Dangerous materials are prohibited on the plane. On the plane ride from Miami to Manus we suggest that you wear a light tracksuit that can be removed. Once you arrivein Brazil the temperatures will be anywhere from 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Please be sure to check in with our representative Steve McDonald at the Miami International airport so that we know you are here and accounted for. We take a head count in Miami and each time the boat or bus heads to a new location so please be puntcual for departures.
Peacock Bass Fishing Tackle:
Here is a tackle list of lures, line and gear that will stand up to the most powerful of peacocks.
- Rods from 5’6” to 7’ (shorter rods are easier to work all day long) with medium heavy to heavy actions. We have 6’6” All Star rods in heavy action.
- Hi speed baitcasting reels with wide spools preferrably for making super long casts. Spinning reels need to be like a 4000 series that can hold plenty of line. We use Pflueger fishing reels like the Purist and the President.
- The fishing lines we use are braids from 65 to 80 pound test. Monofliaments need to be 20 to 40 pound test. Leader material like Berkely Big Game also in 20 to 40 pound test is a must for fishing around rocks. We use Berkely Big Game for mono and leader material as well as Sufix & Power Pro for our braided lines.
- Reinforced snaps for changing baits quickly.
- 4x treble hooks and stainless steel split rings on all lures (saltwater tested)
- Luhr Jensen Big Game Woodchopper and “woodchopper slim” in colors butterfly peacock, red / white and speckled peacock. The “slim” seems to work best.
- CARIBE baits in same colors as woodchopper.
- Rebel Jumping minnows and Zara spooks in colors bone, chrome with red head and flitter shad.
- Saltwater Rapala skitterwalk in Clown and bone colors.
- Bomber Long A’s in colors fire tiger and chrome with a blue back.
- 1 oz. rattletraps and spinnerbaits also can work at times.
- 1 oz. bucktail jigs and large jigs with spinners also work well. White patterns with reds and golds work best.
- For fly fishing large streamers, poppers and clouser minnows are the way to go.
- The driver responsible for the transfers can't wait very long, and it's the group leader's responsibility to assemble the group rapidly for transport so please be punctual.
- On night fishing trips the guide cannot not distance you more than 20 minutes from the Mother Ship and the time limit for return is 10:00 p.m.
- The small boats are prohibited from leaving the Mother Ship while it is moving.
- Before consuming extras at the Hotel - Check the prices
- All excess expenses like shopping and unplanned meals are the responsibility of the individual
- Rigorously keep times of departure and return of the fishing trips
- We recommend, before going fishing or prolonged exposure to the sun that sun blocker should be applied.
- We recommend that old clothes (like t-shirts) be taken for fishing that can be discarded however daily laundry service is available.
- Careful with excess baggage (over 50 pounds). The cost will be for the individual.
- Cell phones don't work in the fishing area.
- During the fishing sessions life vests must be worn.
- Remember: During the fishing sessions you are not alone in the boat. Be careful with your partner when casting your bait. If the lure becomes snagged, avoid pulling as the line could fly in your direction. Give the rod to your guide and he will handle it.
- Do not offer alcoholic beverages to the helmsman and we suggest do not drink alcohol during the fishing trips. Save the party for the return to the Mother Ship.
- In the event of an accident, return to the Mother Ship rapidly or look for another experienced angler who is nearby. For medical emergencies we have a float plane available.
- All problems which may arise should be taken to the group leader, so that they may be resolved.
- Please try and take everything in good humor and keep a team spirit. We are here to have a good time!.
Come and LIVE this adventure. Call us today 1-877-352-PKOK